Gearing Up Off-Road Instructor Training Course – Tollymore
Date: 24th and 25th of March
Venue: Tollymore National Outdoor Centre, Bryansford, Newcastle, Co. Down
Cost: €120 or £100
Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 5:30pm
*Lunch will be provided on both days. Limited to 12 places so book early!
Gearing Up is the name given to Cycling Ireland’s discipline specific cycling skills programmes. Cycling Ireland is delighted to introduce to you the NEW Gearing Up Off-Road Mountain Biking programme. Gearing Up Off-Road deals with the specific fundamental skills required for cycling in an off-road environment. Gearing Up Off-Road is the first stage of development for the rider in an off-road context.
Who can deliver Gearing Up Off-Road
Those people delivering the programme should hold a Cycling Ireland coaching qualification or a Mountain Biking Leadership qualification. Individuals wishing to become a Gearing Up Off-Road Instructor are required to complete a Gearing Up Off-Road Instructor Course. Where an individual attends and passes the Gearing Up Off-Road course with only a foundation coaching qualification they will be qualified to deliver the programme but only with a qualified Gearing Up Instructor who has a Level One or Leadership qualification. Therefore they can only Instruct on their own on completion of the Level One or Cycling Ireland Trail Cycle Leader.
Gearing Up Off-Road is Aimed at
• Providing strong fundamental mountain biking skills for riders aged 11 and over.
• Providing core skills that can be developed whether the rider wishes to compete or to enjoy mountain biking as a healthy, sustainable leisure activity.
• Encouraging access to green environments with the health benefits that accrue from accessing the outdoors.
• Teaching responsible, sustainable access to the outdoors and sharing that resource with other users.
• Allowing riders to access competition as a natural progression in their riding development.
• Allowing groups offering young people a wide range of activities to access a programme offering a structured development programme delivered by trained Gearing Up (GU) instructors.
About the Gearing Up Off-Road Programme
• The duration of the programme is 6 to 8 weeks.
• Sessions should last between 60 and 90 minutes.
• Riders should be 11 years old and over but can be delivered to anyone of any age.
• Delivered by a qualified Gearing Up Off-Road Instructor.
Who is Gearing Up Off-Road intended for
• Riders looking for Introduction to Mountain Biking
• Other specific target groups
Where is Gearing Up Off-Road Delivered
Gearing Up Off-Road is designed for delivery in a range of environments to ensure it is available to the widest possible audience. Examples are:
• Car Parks
• School Grounds
• Trail Centres
For further information on the Gearing Up Off-Road Programme and the upcoming Instructor Training Course don’t hesitate to contact me. Additional information about the training course can also be found on the Gearing Up Off-Road Section of the Cycling Ireland website.
Coach Education Officer
619 North Circular Road
p: 01 8551644
m: 086 7802937